Thursday, July 18, 2013

NERDCULTURE SMACKDOWN! POKÉMON X & Y UPDATE! #1



Before I do my usual analysis and first thoughts on the designs/abilities of the new Pokémon spoiled for the sixth generation of Pokémon games, let's look at some gameplay updates and new characters:

The identity of our new Pokémon Professor was revealed with the introduction of Prof. Sycamore of the Kalos region. He gives you and your friends Pokémon to start you on your journey and it is implied you will battle him at some point/s in the game. I think he looks like a pretty cool dude, but I might've liked to see somebody a little more interesting. Shrug.

The first of two new Gym Leaders announced is this device wearing fellow, Clement. I really like his design and I think he'll either specialize in Electric or Steel Pokémon.

Then we got, presumably, a Fighting or Rock gym leader named Grant who seemed to be into HM 08, if you know what I mean.


Next up, for our criminal/terrorist team, we're going to be battling the insidious Team Flare and their crazy hair. It seems that, as far as we know, these stylish villains are in it for the #swag, #yolo, etc.

Lastly, we received more info on the legendary Pokémon; Xerneas is Fairy type and Yveltal is Dary/Flying. We also discovered that Clauncher and Swirlex will be exclusive to Pokémon X and Skrelp and Spritzee are exclusive to Y version.

And now that I think I've got that sorta news out of the way, let's move onto the seven or so Pokémon revealed...I've got opinions.


Pangoro evolves from Pancham and is frickin' cool. He is a Dark/Fighting Pokémon that resembles a Japanese highschool street tough. I can't wait to see if he has a third stage-- let's hope it comes with a badass pompadour.

Honedge received a lot of buzz when he was spoiled and for good reason; he is another inanimate object (but based on myths of spirit-posses swords), he has a cool design, and an awesome typing-- Steel/Ghost. The main reason I think he has gotten so much attention in fanart is the ability to use him as a prop!

Inkay & Malamar are pretty awesome. They're Dark/Psychic type squid Pokémon and will I think they're some of the most interesting designs yet. Inkay is a cute little Pokémon with it's little beak and big eyes, but its evolution Malamar is just perfectly sinister.

I talked about Swirlex the other day, but Spritzee is another Fairy Pokémon, presumably with Flying type too, and is the Perfume Pokémon. I bet ya this cute pink parrot will have a fragrant evolution worthy of it's French setting.

Oorotto is a Pokémon that makes an appearance in the short/opening of the newest Pokémon film to hit Japan. As photography was forbidden at the screening, the appearance and details we have are based on second-hand description and sketches.

And that's all folks!