1. a close friend.
2. a confederate or assistant.
EX. "Legend of Zelda's Link has had many sidekicks assist in his quests over the years."
The Legend of Zelda series has been around for over over 25 years and has ingrained itself as not only one of the flagship franchises of Nintendo or one of the beloved creations of video game creative genius Shigeru Miyamoto (as well as Takashi Tezuka), but as the golden standard of adventure puzzle-platformers for over two decades. To say the Legend of Zelda is legendary is no overstatement. Lately, people have been doing a lot of videogame retrospectives and perhaps I am a little late to dedicating a full essay to one of my favorite franchises...so here goes nothing. Today's subject is Link's Sidekicks: A Retrospective.
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Friday, January 20, 2012
1. a pork butcher.
1. the parts of a butchered animal considered inedible by humans; carrion.
2. the parts of an animal removed in its dressing; viscera.
3. refuse; rubbish; garbage.
EX. At least Bowser's big guffawing head is considered in offal.I wonder if there is a turtle-dragon butcher equivalent to a charcutier?
Thursday, January 19, 2012
1. a small, exclusive group of people.
EX. What is Sarah Jessica Parker doing among teenager ponies? Weird. Maybe she wants to dominate their clique.
WORDS WITH FRIENDS 1st Edition WEEK
Note: If you cheat at Words with Friends (that includes looking up words in a dictionary or online, as well as using cheat sites) you are a turd. Stop it. Please.
On a lighter note, I swear that I'm reclaiming my motivation and muse. I'm in a little bit of a slump but, with a little help from my friends and Star Trek: Next Generation, I will claw myself back to the top of blog prime.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
1. a profound, usually spiritual, transformation; conversion.
2. Psychology. A spontaneous attempt by the damaged psyche to heal itself after unbearable conflict by melting down and restructuring itself in an a more adaptive form.
EX. After the Ludovico treatment (pictured above) subject Alex DeLarge found himself transformed from common misanthropic mischief maker to a defenseless, spineless, and gutless worm that is repelled by the very ideas of sexuality, violence and most certainly his special brand of "Ultra-Violence." His metanoia prevented him from even thinking about so much as swatting a fly or kissing a woman.
Alex DeLarge was changed into Alex DeSmall.
Fortunately or unfortunately, dependent on your political approximation and affection for sociopaths, our dear subject's transformation was less than permanent. In fact, only after a short rehabilitation, the metanoia reversed and transformed him back into the terror he had always been.
For Beethoven tells him so.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
WTF WEDNESDAY PRESENTS:
C'mon y'all and take a peak, a gander, a lookie loo! Today's WTF Wednesday video box program is another full film for y'all to enjoy. I found this here video on youtube. It collects episodic sketches from the last season or so of Whitest Kids U' Know, a delightful sketch program in the veins of Kids in the Hall. This film is a re-imagining of the Civil War with a little ganja in the mix. If you're looking for something to watch for some good ol' fashion satire or just wanna sit a spell, pause, and check on your pigs and moonshine, this is a great way to start yer day and such.
Note: A day early to make up for namby pambism lately.
failsafe / fail-safe [fayl-seyf]
1. guaranteed to work; reliable.
2. something designed to work or function automatically to prevent breakdown of a mechanism, system, or the like.
EX. Few fail-safes are reliable in life. Whether short-sighted, short-term, short on time, short on cash, or short on ideas, what makes sense to you after spending a decade build a complex labyrinth that you only know the layout of and raising a 12-legged beast who never sleeps to roam the halls, odds are you are gonna slip up somewhere in the final stages of your five-year-plan.
Monday, January 16, 2012
MUSICAL MONDAY PRESENTS:
STAR WARS A CAPELLA! DUEL OF FATES!
I love a film, television, and video game themes and sound tracks. I love a Capella. And heck, despite all my issues with the original trilogy and the Phantom Menace, the music from the prequel trilogy has some worthwhile music. The single greatest song to come out of the trilogy that fits the operatic battles is John William's Duel of Fates. That song alone makes certain scenes in the prequels nearly attain the emotional resonance of scenes from the original trilogy.
For some odd reason, hearing Matt Mulholland's a Capella tongue-in-cheek scat-speak rendition of the song, complete with light saber noises, makes me appreciate the song again. That really is the sign of a good parody. A good parody can help you appreciate your favorite things in a more comedic light and this is no exception. Enjoy and make sure to check out Matt Mulholland's other videos and subscribe
P.S. Darth Maul is nearly as bad as Qui-Gon Jin and Boba Fett. These three make up the triumvirate of overrated Star Wars characters.*Dives behind cover and throws up force shield*
HAZMAT / hazmat [haz-mat]
1. Acronym. Hazardous Material.
2. a material or substance that poses a danger to life, property, or the environment if improperly stored, shipped, or handled.
hazmat suit [haz-mat-soot]
1. a garment worn to protect the user from dangers in the environment.
NBC suit [en-bee-see-soot]
1. Acronym. Nuclear, Biological, Chemical suit.
2. a type of military personal protection suits for use in a dangerous environment.
1. Acronym. Mission Oriented Protective Posture.
2. a military term used to describe protective gear used in dangerous environments; includes a gas mask, mask carrier, highly durable rubber gloves and boots, and an over garment- Joint Service Lightweight Integrated Suit Technology (JSLIT).
Note: Pictures above are from Miyake-Jima, a Japanese island where the inhabitants have to carry a gas mask at all times due to sulfuric gases from the island's volcano, Mount Oyama.
Below is a picture from Romantically Apocalyptic.
Sunday, January 15, 2012
1. a member of a military medical corps; corpsman.
2. a doctor or intern.
3. a medical student.