Monday, July 15, 2013

TABLETOP TALES: MODERN MASTERS DRAFT #1 "GET KIKI-JIKI WITH IT!"

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS
MODERN MASTER DRAFT #1 "GET KIKI-JIKI WITH IT!"

To check out my other decks, hit the link below:


This article serves two purposes: To share the nerd entertainment around with anyone who might find it interesting and, in this case, to share my experiences with Modern Masters.


You can find Magic Cards in super stores (Ex. Walmart, Target) but the best place you can buy your cards, meet other players, and play in events is at your local comic book store or hobby shop. I buy most of my cards at The Comic Cellar. Here is a link to its Google Maps location at 3620 Austin Peay Highway #2 Memphis, TN 38128.

And here is a link to Comic Cellar's Website

Modern Masters is not your normal MTG set. It is a stand-alone set of some of the best cards of all time to be used in the format called Modern. I know that at least some of my readers don't know about Modern, so lemme explain what that entails; basically, Modern Masters is a format that allows all black border cards printed (except for a few special exclusions). Other than that, it plays the same as Standard. As Modern Masters deal in premium cards, the packs come with a premium price and a premium opportunity. I paid $25 to play in a draft of the set (drafts of Standard sets usually cost about half of that).

In the draft, we had a pod of eight players. In order to draft, each player received three packs. You take a card from the pack and pass it to the right/left with each players taking turns taking a card from each pack until there are no more cards. Rinse and repeat twice. Everybody ends up with 45 cards and uses those materials to create a 40 card or greater deck with available lands. The draft is best of three against three opponents. Based on your outcome, you are placed higher in the standing and the winner gets a prize.


I decided to take a shot at this format and do my very first draft. Modern Masters is pretty intimidating to newer players but, despite lackluster results, I enjoyed the experience and would love to draft again. After all, worst case scenario? You get some cool cards and play some of the best card game I've ever played.

Now, let's talk about my Modern Masters limited draft deck...

MODERN MASTERS DRAFT DECK #1
"GET KIKI-JIKI WITH IT!" OR "BIG CREATURES=BIG PROBLEMS!"
I opened my first pack to find a foil Kiki-Jiki staring up at me. After that moment, my goal, perhaps somewhat foolishly, became to collect big creatures in red and green. I think I wasn't totally sure cuz I grabbed a few blue and black, while I was at it, snagging a Cryptic Command (traded that in for $15 credit) and eventually wound up with a black, green, and red deck (splashing black for a big creatures) with the hopes of pounding my opponents in the dirt.

This was wrong. Instead of getting what I wanted, I got poked to death by little white weenies in the first and third round (my second round was a pass cuz my opponent was unavailable). I still think I learned a bit about the drafting and hope I can do it again. Below is the content of my deck...

CONTAINS 40 CARDS


CREATURES
(16 Creatures: 1 Black, 8 Green, & 7 Red Creatures)

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? These guys are pretty solid drops because this deck needed a way to draw cards BUT I probably could've gotten better value out of some solid lowcast red or green creatures instead.

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Then we got this guy who would probably work better in a storm deck, but I appreciated having him for his ability to ramp up into my big creatures.
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? The central player in my deck that made me wish I had known more about the set because, sadly, I didn't know there was an infinite Kiki-Jiki combo! All I needed to do was play a Pestermite and I would almost undoubtedly win the game. When Pestermite enters the battefield, with flash, you may  tap or untap target creature. Simply tap Kiki-Jiki to copy Pestermite, untap Kiki-Jiki and rinse and repeat...forever. I could create an infinite number of Pestermites and swing the next turn for lethal. The only way to stop it is a board clear or a "destroy all creatures with name/value, etc.".

I still haven't traded in my foil copy because I wanted to at least write this article before I do so.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This a very solid creature because of it's recursion and card advantage. I wish I could've done something more interesting with this nifty creatures but it was still a solid choice.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This creature is pretty sweet and combos well with Rift Elementals and Kiki Jiki. Ideally, you wanna be able to cast this guy the same turn you suspend it with Rift Elementals special ability to remove time counters and, down the line, copy Pardic Dragon with Kiki-Jiki to have a 4/4 flyer swing with firebreath.

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? A solid one drop but I wish I had managed to snag more red and green suspend creatures to have the capability to drop big fat creatures and use these suckers as a swell early game engine.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I splashed black mana and two vivid lands to get this sweet bomb out . It had big advantages and works with Kiki-Jiki. Essentially you get a 5/5 flyer spread out across three bodies that can make more 1/1 flyers and regen the big 3/3 with ease...hopefully.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is the sub-theme of my deck with some green Saproling token actions to add in a little bit of a threat. Sporesower is solid because, at worst, it's a 4/4 for 4.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This guy knows where it's at thanks to his nifty Saproling combo trick and his fair price. A solid creature.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This suckers helps with the curve due to how difficult he is to remove, how efficiently he can block, and how he produces Saprolings for your deck.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? In limited, a 4/3 with haste that you can copy with Kiki-Jiki is a solid threat.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This was a card I was glad to draw as a fan of treefolk. Combined with his saproling tribal and kicker makes this a great late game option.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? At worst, you get a 4/4 for 5. At best? You get a 7/7 for eight that is replaced by a 4/4 when it dies. A solid option for this deck. But wait, you ask, where is the ramp to make this stupidity even sorta work?

NON-CREATURE SPELLS
(6 Non-Creature Spells: 3 Green Sorceries & 3 Red Instants)

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I realize that a red Giant Growth must be shocking to see in this deck. JK. This is a great card, just as Giant Growth is a great card.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? You draw this early to net lands and you draw it late to deal with threats. A handy card in this deck.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Any card that gives you options is solid and these three are pretty solid; +1/+1 and Trample can win games with some of the chunky creatures, destroying an artifact is solid against the obnoxious artifact affinity decks (just kidding, I love artifacts) and finally you can remove time counters to help hard summon Pardic Dragon or force your opponent to summon something at a bad time for them.

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? These are some of the best land-get sorceries in the game that help you ramp and shuffle your library up if you're getting bad beats.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? At worst an inferior Kodama's reach but if you can suspend it you don't waste a first turn forest.

LANDS
(18 Lands: 6 Forests, 7 Mountains, 3 Swamps and 2 Others)

CONTAINS: 6

CONTAINS: 7

CONTAINS: 3

CONTAINS: 1

CONTAINS: 1

IDEAL 1ST HAND