Monday, January 16, 2012
WORD OF THE DAY! 1/16/12
HAZMAT / hazmat [haz-mat]
1. Acronym. Hazardous Material.
2. a material or substance that poses a danger to life, property, or the environment if improperly stored, shipped, or handled.
hazmat suit [haz-mat-soot]
1. a garment worn to protect the user from dangers in the environment.
NBC suit [en-bee-see-soot]
1. Acronym. Nuclear, Biological, Chemical suit.
2. a type of military personal protection suits for use in a dangerous environment.
1. Acronym. Mission Oriented Protective Posture.
2. a military term used to describe protective gear used in dangerous environments; includes a gas mask, mask carrier, highly durable rubber gloves and boots, and an over garment- Joint Service Lightweight Integrated Suit Technology (JSLIT).
Note: Pictures above are from Miyake-Jima, a Japanese island where the inhabitants have to carry a gas mask at all times due to sulfuric gases from the island's volcano, Mount Oyama.
Below is a picture from Romantically Apocalyptic.