Tuesday, June 17, 2014

WORD OF THE DAY! 6/17/14!


hype train [hahyp-trehyn]
noun
1. A slang term used to describe the high level of anticipation surrounding an upcoming release of a popular media franchise or an announcement of a new project, especially for video games, movies and TV series. In the video gaming community, the term may be used in a positive light to express one’s excitement, or conversely, to convey disappointment at a product that fails to meet high expectations.

EX, Well, I've been aboard the Nintendo hype train since Mario Kart 8 reestablished my trust in Nintendo's ability to provide a unique and fun experience that, as far as I know, none of their competitors can provide. My friends really came around on the Wii-U and we've been playing it every weekend. On the flipside, I have had to set aside time to play my Xbox 360 backlog (currently playing Dishonored) and haven't played PS3 since I beat Uncharted 3 last year (yes, I need to play the Last of Us). Nintendo Wii-U might be my sole current gen console for a good while...

...and so, I anticipated the Nintendo E3 digital event with a good bit of hype behind it. After all, the Wii-U will be a two year old console when Smash Bros Wii-U comes out and Nintendo needs to really sell the console to gamers and, perhaps an even more difficult battle, figure out how to market the console to the casual market. I think it is depressing that so many people do not understand that the Wii-U is a completely separate device from the Wii. It is an HD console that plays Wii and Wii-U games and provides the funnest living room experience in the market.

And what did I think of their conference?

They really hit the mark with a funny, refreshing, and genuine conference that even Dunkey's cynical butt seemed to enjoy. They don't try to sell the audience any apps or make any promises about cloud gaming. Instead, they just show the audience about forty five minutes of pure games.

Super Smash Bros. for the Wii-U/3DS, Yoshi's Wooly World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Hyrule Warriors, a new Zelda, a new Starfox, Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2, Mario Part 10, Xenoblade Chronicles, Splatoon, and more...

The next year is gonna be awesome.


The only non-game announcement, technically, were the Ammibos. This is Nintendo's take on the Skylander and Disney Infinity figurine craze and all I gotta say is... FINALLY! I've been saying Nintendo should do this for a while, since rumors first popped up about this, because it is a clear license to print money! I want to be able to put my favorite Nintendo characters in my favorite Nintendo games (Pikachu in Mario Kart please) and will be collecting these! I've been looking for an excuse to collect figurines and these are pretty nice.

I think Nintendo won (if that is even a thing). Still, expect to hear about the rest of the games I liked from the other conferences later this week. Just know I'm glad I own a Wii-U right now.

I would watch the entire digital event, or at least the first thirteen minutes because it has a robot chicken sketch and some amazing smash bros news, but I put down some highlights below for your viewing convenience.

SUPER SMASH BROS MII ANNOUNCEMENT!

SUPER SMASH BROS: GODDESS OF LIGHT ANNOUNCEMENT!

SUPER SMASH BROS: PACMAN ANNOUNCEMENT!

SUPER SMASH BROS INVITATIONAL HIGHLIGHTS!

MARIO PARTY 10 TRAILER!

HYRULE WARRIORS TRAILER!

 P.S. I went to a Smash Fest event, at a Best Buy, last Wednesday and, after waiting in line for an hour and a half, I got to play Super Smash Bros. on the Wii-U... for four minutes. I got to play two rounds, one as Greninja, who is super fast, and one who is Pikachu, who plays very similarly to Brawl, and I gotta say that the wait was worth it. I got to stand in line with a couple hundred Nintendo fans, talk about games, take some fun pictures, cheer at the smashes landed, and get even more hyped to play this gorgeous looking game.

Seriously, if Mario Kart isn't a reason to buy a Wii-U, Smash Bros definitely fits the bill.