Saturday, May 11, 2013

TABLETOP TALES: DRAGON'S MAZE PRE-RELEASE! PT. 4 "HOW I COULD'VE HAD A BETTER DAY TWO."

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS
"...LEARNING FROM YOUR MISTAKES I GOLDEN!"

To check out my other decks, hit the link below:


This article is all about how I could've performed better on my second day. There will be two sections in the article, each detailing a different set of edits I could've done to the deck (original article here) and my thoughts about how I will apply the methodology behind the edits in my next pre-release.


EDITED DECK#1 MORE BURN
- 1 Blistervoil Weird
- 1 Mindstatic
- 1 Lyev Decree
+ 1 Annihilating Fire
+ 1 Electrickery
+ 1Chemister's Trick

I replaced two weak spells with two spells that can burn out creatures, one early and one late, and replaced a do nothing creature with something that has a more useful effect. The problem with Blistercoil Weird is that he is too whimpy to be useful, most of the time. Still, this deck has problems with no early game.

Another problem was mana. I took out a plains and island to add more mountains. Proper mana math instruction can be found HERE.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I decided I like annihilating fire over my counter spells because it doesn't rely on me having to have so much mana open. I can choose to use Annhilating fire on there

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is a nasty trick to play on your opponents. It can force them to swing creatures they don't want to swing, possibly netting you some kills and with little risk since they lose 2 power, and they set you up for an alpha strike on the following turn. Options.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I like the ability to burn out 1 toughness creatures over having one, any day, and Electrickery also nets me extra tokens off of Blaze Commando. This card can potentially blow out your opponent's weenies.

EDITED DECK#2 FOUR-COLORS AGAIN?! WHY NOT!
This deck is built on the premise of adding a splash of black to improve my creature base and add some awesome tricks to the deck to help draw cards, build mana, and push into a big win with multi-color creatures that become deathtouch machines with maze abomination's help.

CREATURES
(15 Creatures: 2 Black, 2  Blue, 1 Blue-Red , 1 Blue-Black , 4 Red-White, 2 White, 2 White-Black, 1 White-Blue Creatures)

Returning creatures (you can see what I think about them in this or the first article):
1 Boros Mastiff, 1 Blaze Commando, 1 Fluxcharger, 1 Jelenn Sphinx, 1 Runewing, 1 Stealer of Secrets, 1 Steeple Roc, 3 Viashino Firstblades

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? A 3/4 multi-color body that decreases the power of all of my opponent's creatures is no joke. That's pretty much all I have to say.

 Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card sets up a wall of death made of creatures and, with all the the multi-creatures this deck is running, I'm confident that it can get the job done.

 Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? The only other monocolor creature I wanted add to this set up was 2/3 flyer that can't block or 1/2 flyer that can for three. The trick with Rakdos drake was just getting a flyer.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card is definitely gonna see standard play. Combined with the other cards I've got, I could force my opponent to top deck.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? And another standard worthy card that I can use extort to pump my foes to death and get myself life. This card could really make a big difference.

NON-CREATURE SPELLS
(9 Non-Creature Spells: 2 Artifacts, 2 Black Enchantments, 2 Blue-Black Sorcerys,1 Blue & Red Split Instants, 1 Red Sorcery, 1 Red-White Instant)

Returning creatures (you can see what I think about them in the first article):

 Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Mana rock that, when no longer needed, nets me a card.

 Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Another mana rock that, when no longer needed, nets me a card.

 Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card is awesome card advantage that nets you two cards and could potentially ruin your opponent in this limited format.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card can hit the battlefield turn one and bleed your opponent dry.

LANDS
(16 Lands: 3 Islands, 3 Mountains, 4 Plains, 3 Swamps and 3 Others)

CONTAINS: 1

CONTAINS: 1

CONTAINS: 3

CONTAINS: 1

CONTAINS: 3

CONTAINS: 5

CONTAINS: 3

IDEAL 1ST HAND


And that's it. Leave some recommendations and comments, as I take my adventure to build my next deck. Suggestions?