Tuesday, January 29, 2013

TABLETOP TALES: GATECRASH PRE-RELEASE!

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS
MY GATECRASH PRE-RELEASE!

To check out my other decks, hit the link below:


This article serves two purposes: To share the nerd entertainment around with anyone who might find it interesting and, in this case, to share my experiences with my fourth pre-release.


You can find Magic Cards in super stores (Ex. Walmart, Target) but the best place you can buy your cards, meet other players, and play in events is at your local comic book store or hobby shop. I buy most of my cards at The Comic Cellar. Here is a link to its Google Maps location at 3620 Austin Peay Highway #2 Memphis, TN 38128.

And here is a link to Comic Cellar's Website

I took part in the Gatecrash pre-release on January 27th, 2013, at The Comic Cellar. It cost me $30 ($25 if I had signed up earlier) to sign up and, for that fee, each player recieved 6 boosters packs, including a special booster pack for a chosen guild-- including Orzhov (White-Black), Dimir (Black-Blue), Gruul(Green-Red), Boros (Red-White), and Simic (Green-Blue) (symbols pictured above)-- a promo card for your guild (which you could use in the event) and with the materials each player was expected to build, with all the lands they needed, a no less than 40 card deck.  They were 5 one-on-one matches, each a best of three rounds, and a ranking (the top 16 get increasingly more packs until you get to 1st place which gets a whole box of packs). Each player also received a "pity" pack at the end of the day. All together, the event was well worth the admission fee, and a blast that began at 10 AM and went late into the afternoon.

We also got a life dice unique to our guild, a sticker of our guild symbol, a letter from our guild leader, and an achievement card.

Gatecrash is the second part of the Return to Ravnica set, continuing a trilogy of set releases to end with the spring release, Dragon's Maze. This expansion set pushes the plots developing in the massive city plane of Ravnica forward with evidence of the Guild Compact breaking down as all the guilds seem to be conspiring with rumors of Niv Mizzet, head of the Izzet Guild, up to something big involving some sort of maze. The first card set that took place in Ravnica was introduced in 2005 and was a very popular setting. Ravnica has several minor themes, from the artistic and flavor themes of cities and technology, to a mechanic for each of the guilds.

Some of the cool mechanics and themes to look forward to with Gatecrash include special lands (gates and shocklands), land enchantments, multi-color spells, and new mechanic for each guild:

Extort (Orzhov, Black-White) - Found on creatures and enchantments. (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay White or Black. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
Cipher (Dimir, Blue-Black) - Found on sorceries and instants. (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)
Bloodrush (Gruul, Red-Green) - Found on creatures with X being a variable cost, Y/Z variable bonus to power/toughness, and Q being a possible added effect. (X, Discard this creature: Target attacking creature gets +Y/+Z and Q until end of turn.)
Battalion (Boros, White-Red) - Found on creatures with X being a variable effect like creature getting a power/toughness and ability bonuses until end of turn & other effects. (Whenever this creature and at least two other creatures attack, X.)
Evolve (Simic, Blue-Green) - Found on creatures. (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
My ending record, unfortunately, has taken a dip; with two wins and three losses. I'm not sure if it was bad luck, the fact that I lost a night of sleep, or my pool of cards. I didn't place near the top, but I still had a great time. If there is anything I could have done better it would be have about four more creatures since, on reflection, I didn't have enough frequent creature drops. I definitely rocked and rolled as I said I would in the article I wrote before the event (check it out here) and to discuss that let's look at my...

MY GATECRASH PRE-RELEASE DECK:
RED-GREEN-BLUE EVASIVE AGGRO!

I think I was inspired by the fact that I was torn between going with Gruul or Simic with which guild to rock in the Gatcrash pre-release or the fact that I had some pretty sweet blue spells that would help me evade blockers and hit my opponents full force with my big stompers. Its funny that I mostly played two-colors in the last pre-release, with some three-color exploration of bant, but in this pre-release I really pushed it thanks to having a pretty decent mana base (two guildates and two keyrunes) that allowed me to play what I wanted to play and, while I had some trouble with it, I loved playing RUG Aggro!

The only question I have now is... what the heck am I gonna play in Dragon's Maze? In that set, every guild is an available option with an interesting twist-- secret guild alliances so that I'm thinking you wind up playing three colors. Now, I gotta wonder, do I choose Selesnya or Gruul?

Anywho, I don't have much to say, but I'm glad to have played what I played and wouldn't have changed much (but perhaps my pool of cards). Keep reading and check out what spin I had to spin to play this three color deck..

Contains 40 Cards
CREATURES
(11 Creatures: 3 Blue, 2 Green, 4 Red, and 2 Green/Red Creatures)

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons?  And here is a great reason to play blue with the hybrid evasion and aggro strategy I chose to ran on Sunday. The secret to using this guy was simple; attach Madcap Skills makes him an unblockable 5/2 and sets him up to deal 5 dmg every turn, unless he is removed, and more if I bloodrush!

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This guy was a late addition but certainly made the difference and, if I had another one, would've given me the bulk to block and surprise my opponents who often undervalued this fellow's chunky qualities. The fact that he has 3 toughness also made him tricky to remove.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This was probably the closest thing I got to a Loxodon Smiter with my draft as an uber efficent and cool creature that brings the pain cheap. It's easier to remove than Loxy, but trample helps enable bloodrush and his own bloodrush ability could give a creature what he needs to push an attack over the top.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This guy is a perfect example of a creature that has no business in constructed but, in limited, finds his place as a big blocker and flyer you can enable for victory assuring deathblows as you pump him up for an alpha attack. Mindeye lead round-winning victories after I added him to my deck by boosting his damage over the top.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Mr. Rubblehulk is made to play late game-- you either wanna put him down as your battering ram or use his bloodrush to add about 7 or more damage onto an alpha attack. I think the one big drawback is his overall cost to keep him from being playable in standard...but it remains to be seen.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This fella isn't too great as anything but a way to add five damage to the attack my opponent's can't block. His only other use is to block and kill fatties, but he is too much of a fragile glass cannon for his price.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I was a little skeptical about playing this big fat bruiser that I worried wouldn't be playable, but my mana base was so solid that I could put him down and smash faces with him if I ended up going to turn eight or so. He is gonna be super splashable in a Maya the Anima deck!

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Little goblins are whimpy, but necessary to give me something to put down. I should've ran some more small creatures so I could have a better defensive line against the Orzhov and Boros weenies.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I wish I had another one of these big bruisers that works best when you use his bloodrush for a weaker giant growth...that can't be countered!

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Last, but not least, in my creature arsenal was this nasty defender with a bloodrush that makes the creature survive an onslaught or two and hopefully take some blockers on the way.

NON-CREATURE SPELLS
(13 Non-Creature Spells: 3 Artifacts, 2 Blue Instants, 1 Blue Sorcery, 1 Blue-Green Instants, 3 Green Instants, 2 Green/Red Instants, 2 Red Enchantments, 1 Red Instant, 1 Red Sorcery )

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Keyrunes precipitated the convenient three-color build and kept the low number of creatures from ruining me. I should've played more monsters but putting this guy down turn three was perfect ramp into most of my creatures and his 3/2 creature form with trample could win out games with bloodrush help or just out some damage against weenie decks.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I loved this card with my evasive aggro cuz it set up the possibility of me hitting my opponent and then hitting them again and again. I think I can see Hands of Binding having some sort of place in standard since its not quite as easy to deal with as an aura. Also, who doesn't love getting to play three keywords in one day (I had more evolve in an early version of the deck).

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Evasion and power make this my pick for one of the best enchantments in limited! I was lucky enough to get two of these suckers and built a lot of my deck and strategy around attaching this to the right creature. The only drawback of this sort of aura is that its a twofer if your opponent kills the creature, but removal is slow enough in this sort of format to survive long enough to be useful against most enemies.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Slow removal that helps set up strikes make this card a must for this deck and, most of the time, made my creatures nigh unblockable. I used it a lot to kill Kingpin's Pets and other cheap whimpy flyers.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Another reason to splash blue was to see the look on someone's face when you counter their big fat 5 or more mana creature they've been planning to slam you with and putting down a creature that can block and hammer. I only got to pull it off once, but it won me a round.

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Removal that favors the creature heavy deck-- Pit Fight only has a small drawback in that its a bit of a mechanic that is easy to get confused over. I wasted a creature, by accident, because I forgot abilities don't apply with Fight mechanic. Sads.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is mana fixing with a bonus of, at the very least, netting you a card. I think I should've played a creature over this though because I didn't really wind up having mana problems in most games.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This keyrune was the other reason I could afford to splash blue since he sets up the ability to splash and, a 2/3 crab that can't be hit with instants, is useful for blocking.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Skullcrack works out when you need that extra 3 damage, but more importantly when you need to make your opponent's lifelink and lifelink completely useless. I'm looking at you Orzhov!

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is a fantastic bit of removal that favors UG combos! If you got beefy creatures, which playing my combo I tended to have at least one creature with 4 or 5 power to keep my opponent from being able to deal with this potent counter spell.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This bit of removal also comes in handy against bombs, but I'm not sure another creature would've been preferrable.

LANDS
(16 Lands: 4 Forest, 4 Islands,6 Mountains, and 2 Others)

CONTAINS: 4

CONTAINS: 1

CONTAINS: 4

CONTAINS: 6

CONTAINS: 1

IDEAL 1ST HAND

And that's it. Leave some recommendations and comments, as I take my adventure to build my next deck. Suggestions?