Monday, January 21, 2013

NERD CULTURE SMACKDOWN! POKEMONS OF THE WEEK #2

POKEMONS OF THE WEEK #2
POLITOED & SLOWKING

That's right guys, I know I kinda flaked on posting this on the right day, but it would feel wrong to neglect this sort of new article I've been testing so quickly; as such, I ran the number generator to come up with doing #186 Politoed and #199 Slowking who share the unique place in Pokedom of evolving via trade and exposure to King's Rock.

 #186 POLITOED
Some people might've thought that having three stages in the evolution chain of the Poli pokemons was enough but, considering that Poliwhirl was one of the design favorites of the 1st generation, an additional frog was made (this was back when they thought Gold & Silver would be the last titles in the series, at least for a while). I'm not over the moon over Politoed and I felt he suffered from the washed out color scheme of the 2nd Gen. But, I think he has some redeeming features like his pink cheeks, reverse swirl, and his little antennae that...according to its original Pokedex entry in Gold & Silver is a hair! Yuck!


On the other end of the spectrum, Slowking's existence makes a lot of sense and is a rather curious statement about Pokemon in general. Slowpoke is a fan favorite and Slowbro was a pretty nifty fellow with his shelltail and dopey face. Slowking on the other hand takes the Psychic powers of Slowpoke to take him from being one of the dopiest Pokemon to one of the smartest-- heck, Slowking can speak and one of them gave most of the exposition in Pokemon the Movie 2000. As for the design, I really like the neck frill, the crown, and his disposition.

And now, I leave you with some nightmare fuel.