Saturday, January 12, 2013

NERD CULTURE SMACKDOWN! POKEMONS OF THE WEEK #1

POKEMONS OF THE WEEK #1
ELECTIVIRE & MAGMORTAR

That's right, kiddies. You didn't really ask for it, but I demanded it, so here is our very first randomly generated Pokemons of the Week. I ran a number generator and got #467 Magmortar and thought I'd get #466 out of the way while I was at it with Electivire. I'm glad we're starting on a high note as these two Pokemon are, in my opinion, two of the best designs of the 4th Generation. I thought the evolutions of older Pokemon that they introduced in 4th Gen were awesome (Pokemon fans love our third evolutions) and Magmar & Electabuzz were due for an evolution to elevate them to a new state of awesomeness.

#466 ELECTIVIRE
One of my favorite Pokemon designs of the 4th Gen, and probably of all time, was the snazzy upgrade to Electabuzz. Before we can dig into Muttonchops McGee, let's talk about his 1st and 2nd stage. Elekid was one of the baby Pokemon of the 2nd Gen; meaning he was part of an awful idea, but was luckily the best designed of the group. He was a very cute fella with his head plug and helps to create a full picture. Electabuzz is from the 1st Gen and was kind of an oddball-- with his yellow fur and stripes like some weird alien tiger with antennae. I think the final stage redeems that design by giving it some sort of cohesion to build up to a Pokemon of epic stature. Those red eyes, that black dot above them, the mutton chops, the fingers and fists that lend to a punching motif, and two-tails giving him this very cool monstrous appeal. I love this Thunderpunching fella!

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with his design, feel free to help me out, but I like him.

#467 MAGMORTAR
Magmortar is pretty sizzling too. Keeping up the derp factor of his previous two evolutions (What? He's got such a duckface!), Magmortar takes the volcanic imagery of Magby (also a baby Pokemon) and Magmar (1st Gen) up to 11! I love his hand-cannons, flaming shoulders, and fluffy tail in the back that give him this very cool look that outweighs the chubbiness, the duckface, and the fat-forehead.

And that's pretty much all I gotta say folks. I like both Electivire and Magmortar (I got both of them in a special download event). They both have cool designs that I think are great examples of the cool design choices of 4th Gen. Make sure to leave comments or whatever. Tell me what you wanna see me talk about or how to improve these sorts of articles. Thanks.