Sunday, July 22, 2012

WORD OF THE DAY! 7/22/12.

journey [jur-nee]
noun
1. A traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time.
2. A distance, course, or area traveled or suitable for traveling.
3. A period of travel.
4. Passage or progress from one stage to another.

EX. Its time to talk about one of the easiest traps and biggest misconceptions in the history of video games revolving around one of my favorite series. Pokemon's motto or catch phrase is "Gotta catch 'em all," and this is both deceptive and incorrect for several reasons; besides the grammatical wonkyness of the sentence, it is also wrong because it implies that the entire point of Pokemon is collecting Pokemon. Now, that is certainly the genesis or nexus from which the entire franchise originates; after all, the game is an adaptation of the popular Japanese childhood pass-time of collecting bugs (sometimes for fighting). The truth is that this is a trap because, like many things in life, Pokemon isn't about reaching the end of a quest, it is about enjoying the journey.

At this point, without emulators, outside assistance, and luck, the quest to "catch 'em all" is as unreachable a goal as finding the Holy Grail and I think it would be as unsatisfying as the end result of our fantasies of another Star Wars movie. Right now, as I sit here typing, there are 649 pokemon, and that doesn't include unique trade-only specialty pokemon like "Surfing Pikachu". I have played pokemon for over 15 years, pouring literally hundreds, nay a couple thousands of hours into around a dozen titles, and I caught Mewtwo for the very first time in my life this year. I don't think I'll ever catch all the Pokemon, unless Nintendo basically gives me a single title or two to achieve it, and I've accepted that I will never be a Pokemon master.

But that's okay. Pokemon has never really been about catching them all; if you think it has been, I think you fell into the trap, and I wouldn't be surprised if you quit playing in second generation (trust me, the games have gotten better and more sophisticated in strategy with each game). I play Pokemon and will continue to play Pokemon because I love the world, I love the escape, I love the thrill of the fight, the puzzle-solving, the mysteries, and at the end of the day, the journey is what keeps calling me back.