1. something that is not what it purports to be; a spurious imitation; fraud or hoax.
2. a person who shames.
3. a cover or the like for giving a thing a different outward appearance: a pillow sham.
4. pretended; counterfeit; feigned.
5. designed, made, or used as a sham.
verb [used with object]
6. to produce an imitation of.
7. to assume the appearance of; pretend to have.
verb [used without object]
8. to make a false show of something; pretend.
EX. I suppose the clever bouncer saw through the weak sham of the Charmander's foil Charizard card.