Thursday, March 1, 2012

MIXED BAG. TABLETOP TALES: THE HAUNTED WURMWOOD DECK

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS:

THE HAUNTED WURMWOOD DECK

To check out my other decks, hit the links below:



This article serves two purposes: To share the nerd entertainment around with anyone who might find it interesting and, in this case, to prove how taking the theme of an intro pack, especially a more recent intro pack, can not only make a passable deck, but also a powerful and fun deck.

Today's deck is a brand-spanking-new construction made from an intro pack and about twenty cards either bought, traded, or pulled from older purchases. As an early draft of a concept, you can expect to see a better achieved form of my themes in the future. Here is the main component:



Intro Pack: Dark Ascension, Grave Power, Cost: $13
Note: You can see the full decklist of the original to compare by clicking HERE.


You can find Magic Cards in super stores (Ex. Walmart, Target) but the best place you can buy your cards, meet other players, and play in events is at your local comic book store or hobby shop. I buy most of my cards at The Comic Cellar. Here is a link to its Google Maps location at 3620 Austin Peay Highway #2 Memphis, TN 38128.

Without further ado, with these purchases, I built...

THE HAUNTED WURMWOOD DECK
The deck follows several themes including, but not limited to, : Treefolk, Wurms, Flight, and stealing power from beyond the grave. As I only try to build and present decks that I can afford, this deck is still in a prototype phase, and I hope you will be able to enjoy it. This deck includes cards from others set but I think Avacyn Restored might have some nifty blue and greens that I can add in to make it a completely Innistrad limited deck.

NOTE: This is the second iteration of this deck. Please leave comments and suggestions on how to improve my deck. Enjoy.

Please leave comments.

To check out the contents of the deck, click "READ MORE" below.



 Contains 60 Cards.
CREATURES 
(24 Cards: 4 Blue, 20 Green Cards )
IT CLAIMS ITS PREY- LIVING, DEAD, CONSTRUCT, MAGIC, AND EVEN LAND.
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Acidic Slime is a standout for a couple of reasons. I consider cards of this kind to be living sorcery. Sure, a 2/2 for seems paltry, even with Deathtouch, but add in this Ooze's focused destructive power and when he takes out your opponent's big bad artifact or enchantment, he will usually take as many creatures as he can in its wake.

Update: This card has come in handy in dealing with older artifact heavy decks from the Scars of Mirrodin block and in dealing with pesky land cards.
DEATH COMES FAST AND UNSEEN IN THE FOREST!
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? This is a great card to play when your opponent swings at you with something nasty. You Flash this baddy as an instant, destroy the charging foe, and, if he is destroyed in the process, he adds another beast to the graveyard and, therefore, a +1/+1 to all the critters that feed off the graveyard's rotting matter.

Update: This card really is a decent piece of monster removal. It relies a lot on your opponent making aggressive slips but, at least once a match, I found myself killing off something pesky with this swift death trap.

“He respects Owl, because you can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right.” -A.A. Milne

Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? I have been trying to find an adequate blue two mana drop and the Augury Owls struck a chord with me. Not only are they flyers, but their nifty scry ability is a welcome addition to the strategy of the deck. Also, owls fit the theme of the Haunted Wurmwood nicely.
"A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm." -Hamlet, William Shakespeare
Deck contains.3.
Reasons?  3/4 Wurms that make my deck so nasty had to include this grave-digging critter. He is a simple beast that grows with time. With each card dumped from the library and each creature you lose to wear and tear, Boneyard Wurm just gains more potential. Pair him with some interesting enchantments and he becomes a devastating beast of the Wurmwood.

Update: This card has definitely lived up to its potential. Its not uncommon for me to summon one of these, even if I have no creatures in my graveyard, just have him die to put creatures in my graveyard. He is a little less intimidating the Trampling Splinterfright, but he doesn't force me to dump cards that would otherwise be useful.


" Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. "
-Dylan Thomas
Deck contains. 3.
Reasons? This card is just brilliant in this deck. He is a 2/2 for 2 that sacrifices for land. This is awesome. Not only does it get you all the mana you need for the big beasties and spells, but it also adds to your graveyard.

Update: I stand by what I said before. The only reason I cut it down to three is to make room for some variety and upper tier monsters.
NOM! NOM! NOM!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I started collecting worms a few weeks ago and traded some black cards for this big boy.Why is he my wurm of choice for the moment? Simple. His powers are weird and are pretty much designed to make other player's think twice. He can't take combat damage, he eats everything that stumbles foolishly into his path, and leaves nothing but death in its wake. The only thing that CAN take him out are special spells and abilities. I think most opponents are going to be taken aback by the this Hungry Hungry Hippo of a card.

Update:  You better believe that Elgulfing Slagwurm is a Doom Blade magnet. Then again, that is an annoyance I was able to accept.With other monsters in the deck that attract similar supression, and ways to dig around in my graveyard, I can accept such risks.
"There is no immortality but a tree's love." -The Last Unicorn
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? By the time I'm ready to put this bad boy on the field, I've already for six or so monsters in my graveyard, and it only costs me 2 mana to put this on the field. Then, I'll get this tree to flying and swing harder than the Whomping Willow.

Update: I love this card so much that I just had to pick up a second. This is the flagship for this deck. It really is a fantastic sweeper. A lot of my games rely on getting a Ghoultree boosted up (Increasing Savagery, Soul's Might), flying (Spectral Flight, Levitation), and swinging to a one hit kill for the win. It is because of cards like this that I hope to see more Treefolk in Avacyn Restored.
"The Ents are going to war." -Treebeard, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? What's better than casting a Ghoultree for one green mana? How about casting one for free! A 3/5 for 4 mana is not bad at all to begin with, but add in the ability to peek at the top card of your deck and cast tree folk for free makes this card awesome. Even if the peek doesn't reveal a Tree Folk, it gives me some added insight into my next draw and, therefore, may aid in planning my next move.
"They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning. Destroyers and usurpers, curse them." -Treebeard, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Another perfect fit to the theme of this deck. This card is deceptively fun and easy to play. At the moment, its pretty powerful against most human and sacrifice decks because every time my opponent sacrifices a monster, Lumberknot gets bigger. Hexproof keeps him from getting killed off early and then I just gotta get him to grow up nice and big so I can launch him at my foes.

Update: This card has won me a couple matches. If it cost three mana I would love this card a lot more, but being so expensive it can be a pain to put one out and be forced to block with him on the very next turn. Regardless, with the addition of the Leaf-Crowned Elder I expect that to be a little less worrisome.
"Pick not the rotten fruit, but neither touch the best. Leave those as offering for our unseen guests."
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Special thanks to Foam Jedi. After Splinterfright screwed me over a couple times I decided to try a recommendation of these interesting cards. I am a little curious to see how they'll hold up and I might end up replacing them soon but for now they should be an interesting way to put pressure on my foes.



"Edible - good to eat and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm." -Ambrose Bierce
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? A good wurm is not so hard to find. I needed something beefy, something hard to kill, and something cool to fill out the slot of one of the big, big five monsters of this deck. Plated Slagwurm's Hexproof shot him up above the rest of the competition...at least for now.
"Next morning, Ichabod's hat was found, and close beside it, a shattered pumpkin..." -The Adventure of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? I loathed allowing those Deranged Assistants in the deck (but I needed some low cost blue until I can find some replacements) but I had no trouble finding a place for Tower Geist. A flying 2/2 for 4 mana would be garbage but. you had on that nifty little draw two and discard and the spirit keyword (which is pretty strong right now), he fits perfectly into the haunted Wurmwood. Expect the next iteration of this deck to have more spirits and expect it to be called, "The Haunted Wurmwood."

Update: I still stand by this card. Its the only blue creature that has survived the purge that the others have not from the original build of this deck.
Hang Up a Noose and Let Loose.
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Oh, Tree of Redemption, let me count the ways and reasons I count you among the best cards in the set: the artwork and flavor text are perfect, four mana for a 0/13 with a fantastic ability is wonderful, but most important is the number of amusing combos this card is capable of.


Update: I have one of these in my Auramonger Deck and one here. This deck has a lot of flexible uses. In this deck it serves the purpose as a big defender, but becomes even more useful when combo'd with Feed the Pack. To read more about that, check out the card further down.
  "The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
  And burbled as it came!"-Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? It's not often I do this but I had to pick up a Vorapede for about 6 bucks. I just love everything about this card! It's a five mana drop that's a 5/4 with Vigilance and Trample! Then, he has undying which makes your opponents Doomblades and other burn cards terribly inefficient at dealing with Vorapede. Make this critter fly and he is more terrifying than most dragons I've encountered, especially at this efficient cost.

Update: This is a card that immediately demands your opponents attention and just works. I stand by my initial reasons.

Enchantments, Instants and Sorcery
(18 Cards: 2 Blue Enchantments, 2 Blue Instants, 1 Blue Sorceries, 3 Green Enchantments, 4 Green Instants, 6 Green Sorceries)

CAN'T BLOCK THIS! WURMER TIME!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I think a lot of people who rate cards have a rather snobby view of cards. For example, a lot of people in reviewing this card, compared it cards from sets long past. I think they underestimate the usefulness of this card, especially with flashback. This card combos with a Ghoultree or another pumped monster, to guarantee a win.
DARWIN APPROVED!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Wow. This card. I really wish I had three more of these but, alas, you get what you can get in a trade. This nifty instant is just made of win. It is a jack of all trades. Need land? Its got that. Need a creature from your graveyard? Its got that. Need a Jump? Its got that. So....yeah its a filler. Hopefully I'll find a better green in the set or swap it out with a Cultivate.
I'M A LUMBERJACK WOLF AND THAT'S OKAY!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Holy crap. When I was looking over potential cards to pick up for my deck, I spotted this baby and, like anyone else who looks at this set, immediately thinks of Tree of Redemption. Then, I went to my local shop, spotted the two cards, snatched them up for three bucks, and bam they're in the deck. Put this down, sacrifice the tree, and 13 2/2 wolves come on the field for the WIN! Swap your life to add more wolves? WIN! Boost your Tree of Redemption or Ghoultree and pop? WIN! Levitation combo? WIN! Keep saving at least one wolf for end step to pop it into double the wolves? WIN! Yeah, the card can be struck from the field, but so can just about anything. This combo is too good and too fun.

BONE MARROW IS GOOD FOR YOU.
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? A lot of people would probably snub this card, but, with this deck, its far too useful. The first time I used it, I was getting pummeled, but played this and immediately flashed it back for 24 health! I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself picking up another one of these bad boys soon.

Update: This card has saved my butt in at least 3/4 of the games I've won. My opponents wail on me until I got a big graveyard, play this, maybe even twice, and then win a confident overabundance of life. It really is a great life get for the deck and I would like to pick up another soon.

WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD WOLF?
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? In a deck that's all about getting a Ghoultree or something else chunky swinging away or even boosting your sacrifices for Feed the Pack this card is pretty awesome. Another card I snatched up from the shop, this card is great, even if it gets discarded. Heck, when it is played from a graveyard...YOU GET 10 +1/+1 counters. Slap those on a Ghoultree and combo with an Artful Dodge for touchdown.

BRING ON THE BEASTS!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card is great when you find yourself in a bind and need to get monsters. Its efficient and effective. I don't have many complaints about it. Also, since there are several cards in the deck that shuffle the library if you end up putting  a good spell on the bottom of the deck it is no big deal.
I SAW A FLYING FOREST! HONEST!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card can be simply devastating. A token deck can wipe their opponents out if they get ten or so 1/1 or even better 2/2 flying up and over their opponent's creatures. It matches the theme of this deck by getting my trees and wurms in the air.

Update: If it works, it works. Why would I complain about a card than get a giant zombie tree, a giant wurm, or a horde of wolves into the air for an attack? Its really quite a simple and straight forward enchantment that demands your opponent to remove it lest he suffer your immediate wrath.
HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF.
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Conclusion? I need another one of these for this deck. Not only does it save some cards from the grave and restock my library....it has flashback! I'll definitely be picking up another one of these in my next trip to the Comic Cellar.

Update: Another card that definitely works out for me. My opponents get cocky about me having to dump good spells in my graveyard, but when they see this puppy come out for so cheap, they really see that there is nothing funny about this awesome card. It rocks.
MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MULCH!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Thematically? This card is superb. But it is pretty inferior to Cultivate which both guarantees you two lands and allows you to play one. Furthermore, putting to many of these in my deck could burn it out. Don't get me wrong, if I find my graveyards need to fill faster, I'll be putting more of these puppies in my deck.

Update: Alas, mana droughts haven't really cost me a match yet. Mulch is nice to have, fits thematically, but is not as necessary as I once worried it would be.
OLD STANDARDS GROW BETTER WITH AGE.
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? The general consensus on this set's Naturalize is that its art is way better than the core set's crappy glass bauble art and that the flavor text is a lot of fun. This is one of the most decent removal cards in the set because it has always been one of the most decent removal cards in the game. I find it difficult to imagine a Green deck without two of these classics.

Update: 2 in the deck, 1 in a side board. What more is there to say?


"Total slaughter, total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La de da de die, genocide. La de da de dud, an ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time." -Vash the Stampede, Trigun
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I traded for this baby a wild back and I have to say...I definitely don't regret trading away all those blacks I have had to trade for the cards I do have. This nifty sorcery is another win condition, especially with a couple of big creatures on the field or a big creature leading a horde of wolves. I haven't had much of a chance to play it, but this card is definitely alot of fun to use to overrun your enemy's resistance for a sweet victory.

Why not dress your tree in some fancy armor?
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card needed some support to beef up the toughness of my monsters. That's the mundane use. A better use of this card is to attach it to Tree of Redemption. This can allow you to swap out your life points for the Tree's 19 toughness with the Tree keeping a minimum of 6 toughness. Or you can sacrifice the combo for 19 2/2 wolves.
MY MAGIC IS STRONGER!
Deck contains. 1. 
Reasons? Put this baby on Ghoultree and you've got a 20/20 on the field. End of explanation for why its not only great mechanically but its great thematically. Feeding on spirits for growth is awesome!

Update: "Double the Ghoultree, double the fun! With Soul's Might, that's how I won!"
"The church looks down on binding spirits into armor, but now I can look down on them." -Dierk, geistmage
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? I am buying two more of these next time I got to the comic cellar. I have a thing for enchantments, especially auras, and this one is a doozy. +2/+2 with Flying for two? A Blue flying aura that isn't a piece of crap? PINCH ME! Put these on your Lumberknots or Vorapede and you've got a force that can dodge most combat and block most combat.
  
Update: I am a sucker for Auras and this is still one of the best blue flying Enchantments I've seen so far. For two mana, I challenge you to find a blue flying aura that is more efficient.
FISHING FOR LUMBER!
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is a great way to get those creatures out of your deck when you need them but, thanks to its flashback ability, I am not so sure if I need two in here. This card's only drawback is that it can burn your mana out of your deck if you don't use it carefully.

Update: I really can't imagine throwing too many of these in a deck for fear of losing too many useful lands or spells.
DOUBLE DOUBLE TOIL AND BUBBLE!
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? This card doubles the power and toughness of your Boneyard Wurms and Splinterfrights. It is almost always guaranteed to give you a +1/+1 but even better it give your monsters anywhere from a +1/+1 to a +10/+10. This adds to the incentive to get monsters in your graveyard and makes those Boneyard Wurms terribly attractive and useful.

Updates: I had to dump one of these guys out of the deck, but I still stand by this aura because of its usefulness in conjunction with all the creatures that end up in my graveyards.
LANDS
( 18 Cards: 5 Blues, 10 Greens, 3 Others)

Contains 2

Contains 10
Contains 1
Contains 5

IDEAL FIRST HAND!