Saturday, March 16, 2013

NERDCULTURE SMACKDOWN! POKÉMON OF THE WEEK! MAR 16-MAR 22/13!

#434 STUNKY & #435 SKUNTANK

Well, I'm afraid to say, today I've got a couple of Pokéstinkers on my Pokéledger and, if I don't talk about them, I'll be violating my Pokécontract. *cough* I suppose if there is anything positive about the situation is that  I wasn't expecting them, but then again you never expect to have skunk roll up under your house and die... until it happens.



These skunks are real but-her faces...wait, did I mean butter faces? No. I know exactly wanted I wanted to say, so I'm just gonna say it...THEY HAVE BUTTFACES! Which, certainly, lends their designs to a cartoonish style:

Which, also admittedly, has a certain charm to it, but I'm just not sure it was necessary and, honestly, just went a little too far past the pugnificent factor they were going for, went past pugly, and slammed right into the buttface valley. Now, that I've got that out of the way, lemme talk about the parts of their design that I actually like. I like way they mixed the features of a cat with a skunk-- not sure if that was intention, but skunks are called "polecats" and are considered to be a good pet cat substitute if you destink gland them, which is kinda like taking the venom out of a cobra-- and I especially like the way the colors and fur work to give them a very wild look that separates them from the foxes, dogs, cats, etc. that are abound in the games. Skuntank's pompadour is actually pretty cool and charming and, if it wasn't for the whole buttface thing, I'd probably like these poison/dark types a lot more.

And they're might be a Tiny Toons reference with their design-- always a plus.