Sunday, January 13, 2013

WORD OF THE DAY! 1/13/13.

cornucopia [kor-nuh-koh-pee-uh]
noun
1. Classical Mythology. A horn containing food, drink, etc., in endless supply, said to have been a horn of the goat Amalthaea.
2. a representation of this horn, used as a symbol of abundance.
3. An abundant, overflowing supply.
4. A horn-shaped or conical receptacle or ornament.

EX. I was wondering on Saturday morning, as I wrote my first Pokemons of the Week article, whether or not I would ever want to see a limit or an end to the number of Pokemon. I thought, for a moment, it might be interesting if they stopped at #999. Then, I imagined the development team having trouble deciding which of their designs got to be in the final allotment of Pokemon. It reminded me that they have held Pokemon back in development for years. For example, in the latest Did You Know- Pokemon Part 3 video narrated by Egoraptor, Shellos and Sheldon were held back from third generation before being introduced in Diamond and Pearl. If they had stopped at the 3rd Generation, I would've missed out on lots of great Pokemons.

That's when I realized that there is an endless cornucopia of ideas out there for Pokemon and a never ending variety of designs and styles that haven't been applied. Heck, just check out fanart of the Pokemon to see how each Pokemon can be interpreted in different ways. Now, think about how every time they release more Pokemon, the 90's kids out there whine about how these new Pokemon "don't look like Pokemon." Do you know what defines Pokemon for me? They're based on an animal, object, or image and combined with various elements to fit the basic rules of what a Pokemon can and can't do. That's really the only rule.

Each generation of Pokemon is different and each generation of the Pokemon brings new Pokemons for us all to become obsessed over. And that's why I have optimism about Gen VI.

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA