Monday, December 24, 2012

WORD OF THE DAY! 12/24/12. A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS REUNION?

holiday blues [hall-uh-dehy-blooz]
noun
1. Feelings of sadness, loneliness, depression and anxiety in and around the holidays, caused by loss of family and loved ones through divorce or distance from the childhood home or place where the holidays were most enjoyed in years past. This also connected with the seasonal anxiety believe to be associated with stress caused by meeting expectations to feel holiday cheer, to meet the gift demands of others, and to compete for decoration supremacy. These feelings are intensified by the often dreary weather in the Northern hemisphere during this season.

EX. I don't often find myself feeling the holiday blues, in fact this is my favorite time of year (more time to spend with friends and family, excellent films, Christmas, and my birthday to name a few reasons), and yet, I think I can understand the sentiment. As you get older, it can become difficult to see the magic of this season-- it becomes more artificial, more commercial and, if you become distant from friends and family, it seems like a long lost dream. My advice? Try to connect with loved ones, make new friends, and volunteer to help others.

Like Ebenezer Scrooge in Dickens' A Christmas Carol, this is a good time of year to revisit the past, evaluate the present, and consider the future. At least, that's what I tend to do...


Also, I'd like to recommend the TV show that they satire in the video linked above, Louis C.K.'s Louie on FX. It is one of the best shows on television straight from the mind of one of the best and brightest comedians out there.