Thursday, September 27, 2012

MIXED BAG. POETRY JAM #5

It's been a while since I shared any of my poetry and, since I just wrote a sonnet assignment for my Forms of Poetry course (yes, I know I'm a Creative Writing major with a focus toward Fiction) and I think the poem is amusing enough to share on her. To check out some of my other poems, hit the links at the bottom.

A Sonnet about a Horse
 By Sean Barnes
“Here ye, here ye! Calling all beasts and birds!
I am the Unicorn. I am, therefore,
Unique.” The beast said, in Englishman’s words,
“Henceforth, I am the King of the Forest!”

Such a decree, to not just birds but beasts,
Meant nothing. But he was proud to speak it.
He planned to plan royal trots, naps, and feasts,
“Such fools! None deny my claims! I’m legit!”

‘Twas true except one beast did not submit—
A young man stepped out from between the trees,
Then grabbed the King’s horn tight and detached it,
“You are but a horse without one of these!”

And as the man held the horn in his fist
The hornless Unicorn ceased to exist.