Saturday, March 2, 2013

NERDCULTURE SMACKDOWN! POKÉMON OF THE WEEK! MAR 2-MAR 8/13!

#618 STUNFISK

Technically, this wasn't completely random (I usually use a number generator) and was more determined by my stumbling across some cute fanart of this pugly Pokémon, Stunfisk. Wait, did I describe him as being pugly-- cuz Stunfisk is more like PUGNIFICIENT!


"THIS IS MY WAR-FACE!"
By all accounts, Stunfisk is a derpface Pokemon with a really bland design and color scheme-- but that's sort of the point. Stunfisk is a trap!


His design is completely meant to blend into mud (you find him in mud puddles, after all), where he waits for some poor foolish prey to go for a little dip and step right onto his shapeless body to shock them into submission! This guy is more than meets the eye!


He is a ground/electric type-- which makes him all kinds of funky fresh. And I mean-- don't get me wrong, he is ugly-- but I can see how his disarmingly bland appearance could be appealing in a pugly sort of way. With his flat-face, blank expression, and a design that makes it quite easy for a fan artist to play around, it is easy to imagine how he'd become a fan favorite amongst such artists. That and you find him in a lot of weird places--with his face being stepped on and sat on-- that appeal to... a certain sort of fan. I guess...