Thursday, September 13, 2012

WORD OF THE DAY! 9/13/12.

cat-astrophe [kat-as-truh-phe]
noun
1. Any mishap, misfortune, accident, fiasco, or failure as the result of cats.

EX. And now for a small cat-astrophe.




CAT LADY
“Are you serious, Katherine?”

Dr. Barry had never spoken to me in that tone before in a setting and, then again, I had never told him about an experience so outrageous. It was a tone both bemused and concerned; as if he wasn’t quite sure what to make of it yet.

“It is one thing to see giant cats in your dreams and it is an entirely different thing to say you see them while awake,” He looked at me from the armchair, thick eyebrows like a pair of burst cattails pressed together, with concern, and he asked, “Are you sure you’ve not been losing sleep again?”

I tried to “Well, it was Molly,” Molly, my pet tabby cat, “I mean she normally wakes me in the morning,” my voice quaked with an anxious shiver, “But this was different.”

“My cat wakes me every morning,” I explained, “But this morning, instead of just feeling her walk over my belly or legs, I felt the bed move when she hopped onto the end of the bed; she was the size of a cougar.”

“Really?” Dr. Barry interrupted.

“Yes, really,” I continued, “And Molly looked at me expectantly and, maybe for a moment, I thought I was dreaming or that she was going to eat me. Then, she hopped off the end of the bed and made her way out my bedroom door.”

“And did you follow her?” The doctor asked.

“No, not immediately. I first had to make sure this wasn’t a dream,” I said, picking at the end of shirt sleeve, “I mean it surely didn’t feel like a dream, but it’s hard to tell sometimes whether I am dreaming or sleeping. Especially since I started taking those new sleeping pills.”

“Sleeping pills?” I could feel Dr. Barry’s disappointment.

“Well, I got a free sample and that’s beside the point. Will you let me finish?” I leaned back on the sofa, trying to get comfortable, “The pills make me feel like I’m in a daydream.”

“So, I decided, if this was a dream, because it surely had to be, I might as well investigate where it would take me; I followed Molly’s path to the kitchen and found her, the monstrous cat, waiting by her bowl in front of the pantry. I opened the cabinet to get a can of her food.”

“And as I began to open the can, Molly rubbed against the back of my legs, pushing me into the cabinets with her large body. She let out this purr that sounded, well, and I know this sounds silly but like an old car.”

“And then I put the food in her bowl. Made myself some tea and that was it.”

“And Molly is back to normal size, I assume?” The doctor asked.

“Well, most of the time, but when I wake up in the morning or from a nap or feel stressed,” I laughed as I tried to explain, “Molly just seems to grow bigger.”

“Katherine,” The doctor stood up, “I’m going to recommend you stop taking those pills and maybe talk to someone besides me, your mother, and your cat. You’re just stressed. Go home and get some rest. But first, flush those pills, and call me.”
*
I did as the doctor told me to do, after all it was good advice, and then decided to sit down with a good cup of tea in my room. Molly sat in front of the door, the size of a station wagon, and taking a nice nap. She looked comfortable and, as I sat down next to her and leaned into her side, a purr rumbled like my grandfather’s old Cadillac in my ears.