Monday, August 13, 2012

MUSICAL MONDAY! + MIXED BAG. GOOF TROOP (SNES) REVIEW

MUSICAL MONDAY + MIXED BAG REVIEW OF

GOOF TROOP

Developer: CAPCOM
System: Super Nintendo (1993)
Genre: Action-Adventure

Because this is my fourth video game review here is quick link to my rating system. In the future, I will continue to link this article.
  




Before we begin the review of the game, let's get the Musical Monday stuff out of the way, while we're at it, and let me explain the impetus for this review:



Two of my favorite youtubers, the amazing animator Egoraptor and the raddest reviewer Jontron, got together to start a new "Let's Play" channel called "Game Grumps" where they play video games, record their efforts, and just chat. On its own, this is pretty awesome. Then, I was entranced by some of the games they were playing (expect some Mega Man reviews soon), and was surprised to see them play an obscure title that I owned; Goof Troop (SNES).

My history with the title is actually pretty special and brought up all kinds of good feelings just watching someone play it; Goof Troop was a Disney Cartoon show I particularly enjoyed as a kid, Goof Troop was one of the about eight SNES cartridges I owned, and I remember playing it with my family. The thing is, when I was a kid, we moved around a lot (my Dad was in the Navy) and I, honestly, didn't have a lot of friends. I spent most of my time hanging out with my sister and my Mom (and my Dad when he wasn't off in a submarine). One of the reasons video games aren't just fun but are also very special to me, is that video games were an escape from a very friendless childhood and the other reason is that my family would all play video games with me (I probably coerced them). One of my favorite video games I have memories of playing with my family was Goof Troop and, seeing the Game Grumps playing it, convinced me to dust off the old cartridge and give it a run. The results?

I played as Max on this playthrough.
I never beat the game before, it does have some hard parts and I was an impatient kid, and I needed someone to play co-op with me. Luckily, these days I have lots of friends to call upon for co-op; I played the game from beginning to the end boss about three times, over a week and a half, with three partners (thank you Matt, Corey, and Zach) and yesterday, Corey and I beat the game for the first time, August 12, 2012. At the conclusion, you can see how much time it took us to beat the whole game. Now, let's move past my reasons for reviewing it and talk about one of the lost treasures of the SNES catalog.

STORY
The story in this game is simple, if not a bit well goofy (I get to use that joke at least once in this review). The game involve Goofy, Goofy's son Max, and their neighbors Pete and his son PJ, going on a vacation to Spoonerville Island. While on the fishing trip, Pete and PJ are kidnapped by pirates and its up to Goofy & Max to save their friends.

The story is pretty paper thin, but kind of funny and fits the characters. This basically could be an over-the-top episode of the show (they had an episode with a dragon so anything is possible, really) and has a neat little twist. The reason that the pirates kidnapped Pete is because he resembles their lost leader, Keelhaul Pete, who disappeared while "spelunking for whales" or something like that.

The funny part is that this story is so silly and light, that it adds to the fun; who ever I played with, we found ourselves making fun of the scenario, the bad guys, and the settings. You know what? That is perfectly okay for a game of this era. The story is fun and the way the settings are used; island villages, a castle, caverns, and, of course, a pirate ship give the game some variety and set up all kind of cool scenarios, puzzles and boss fights.

If you can't find the humor in the ridiculousness of Goofy and Max fighting pirates with a grappling hook and bell then you might be a grumpus.

PRESENTATION
It may be a TV-franchise game, but on the technical side, this game is pretty cool for a SNES game. The character designs, animations, color palette, and settings are a lot of fun; the game feels and looks so nostalgic and timeless (a way a lot of well-made games of this era tend to do). In terms of art-style and character design, the only negatives would be enemy variety and item variety, but that's pretty much expected of a game this era and this game's art style is functional.

One of the most memorable parts of the game is the sound design; while the music is functional and doesn't feel uniquely Goof Troop-esque (if it had the show's theme I would be so happy) it does fit the mood of whatever level you're on and never gets annoying. The music design sounds like it could be from any Capcom game, but that's not a negative; the sound effects in the game are all viscerally satisfying, from the sound you hear when you pick up an item ("Buh-duh-duh-buh-duh") to the sound of shooting your grappling hook ("BOOP") to the sound of kicking a block ("knk") makes every action in the game more satisfying.

 Capcom made a lot of Disney games in the 90's and they're all technically impressive. Goof Troop isn't as visually impressive as Aladdin or Lion King but, for a top down adventure game, it is only outmatched in design by my favorite SNES title, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (1991).

GAMEPLAY
The controls in Goof Troop are actually obscenely tight and efficient; the characters move easily, you pick up equipment that fits into a single inventory slot or pick up items to throw them at enemies, you kick blocks to kill enemies and solve puzzles, and you use the equipment you have to open doors (keys), stun enemies and solve puzzles (grappling hook), expand your light (candle), dig for one-ups and continues (shovel), and distract/attract enemies (the bell) . That's pretty much everything you can do in the game and, like any good media, it takes it limitations and makes the best use of them. The only item in the game that felt a little unnecessary was the shovel, which you use only in three parts of the game, and pretty much just wastes time.

Standard gameplay involves taking out enemies with thrown items or kickable blocks, solving puzzles by hitting switches or kicking blocks, and collecting items to solve puzzles and survive long enough to get to the end. And where this gameplay shines is in the boss battles, each of which are memorable, especially the Skeletons on the third stage, and difficult. Capcom has learned a lot and managed to mix elements from their games and other Nintendo titles to make something that is a blast to play with your friends. Speaking of which, let's talk about co-op.

The game gives you plenty of options for player selection; you can play as Goofy, who can throw farther, kill most enemies in one hit, but is slower or Max, who is much faster, but throws short and takes two hits to kill most enemies. The game is playable with a single player, allowing you carry an extra item in your inventory, but this game is best played with a friend. The best part of Goof Troop is working together to defeat enemies and solve puzzles.

It's easy to sum up the feeling of playing Goof Troop; its like playing a Zelda game, especially Link to the Past or one of the Four Swords games. Sometimes the game even feels like its ripping game design and gameplay right out of the Zelda series, BUT that really doesn't matter. In fact, one of the reasons this game is so good is that, as far as I know, it is the only game to translate Zelda gameplay very effectively into a non-Zelda title. Zelda is fun, therefore Goof Troop is fun.

The only down-side to Goof Troop is the length of the game; there are only five stages and the game can be beaten in around an hour (though you probably won't pull that off the very first time and there are multiple paths/secrets to discover).

PROS VS. CONS
+ The game captures elements of the animated series and is silly enough for some goofy fun.
+ The controls and design are tight/functional/satisfying.
+ The puzzles and bosses are hard, but satisfying.
+ The co-op is implemented so that the best way to play is with a pal and you really feel like teamwork makes the game a better experience.
- The game is terribly short.

CONCLUSION
4/5.
I really wanted to give this game a 5/5, but it really is terribly short. If the game had about seven or ten stages, it would be an easy 5/5, and stand out as a true classic of the SNES library. I still would recommend picking the game up to any collector of retro games, lovers of co-op, Capcom fans, or Disney maniacs. The game is a blast to play with a friend and it is an especially satisfying experience to complete the game.

Personally, this is one of my favorite SNES games, and I still enjoy playing it every time. I think a lot of us have obscure favorites like this in their library and I implore you to share your experiences with other people. Nothing is better than discovering an obscure classic.

On that note, I'll be playing some Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, another Capcom game for the SNES and want to give you a piece of advice; if you are looking for an SNES game, look out for Disney titles made by Capcom and you'll be guaranteed some well-made nostalgic fun.

P.S. One of the funnest parts of the game is basically making fun of the character animations; when Goofy throws his hands up, which is to catch barrels and other objects, he looks so irritated.