Thursday, December 8, 2011

MIXED BAG! POKEMON FANART...BY ME?


As I've said before, and I'll say again, I love Pokémon. After finding out some of my friends were changing their profile pics to Pokémon for December, I couldn't choose a favorite and instead took it one step further and drew a Pokémon trainer version of myself with six Pokémon I could see myself running around with.

First, I drew myself as a trainer. I tried to draw in the style of the Pokémon anime but instead decided to nix that and draw it my way. I am regrowing my epic beard so I went with that. I would've drawn myself more rotund, but if I was a traveling Pokémon trainer I reckon I would be in better shape. Gotta lose some weight!

Now from left to right and top to bottom:

"Heracross!" is hands down one of the coolest designs and coolest sounding Pokémon. He is a physical sweeping battle beetle that fulfills the specialize niche of being both a Bug Type and Fighter Type. Did you know that Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokémon, came up with the concept of Pokémon based on his childhood past time of insect collection (beetle fighting is huge in Japan).

To quote an earlier article, Togekiss makes up for the disappointing evolution and design of Togetic. Not only is Togetic one of the cutest designs, as well as one of the cleanest, she uses her wings to Wall against both Physical and Special moves and is one of the most flexible Flying Pokémon of all time. She is one of the best Pokémon you could have watching your back from a bird's eye view.

My starter of choice? Tepig! I have always ran fire starters, and Tepig, being a cartoon pig, was too hard for me not to choose. Emboar is really cool, with his samurai style/sumo gusto. He is a Recoiling Piggy Powerhouse! He seems like he would be really good natured and heroic-- or maybe just really hungry..

The first Pokémon I tried to draw today was Golduck. I have always been a fan of the cool Water Pokémon, especially since he evolves from the fan favorite Psyduck, and usually enjoy having him on board as my Special Sweeper with a great movepool; my Mallard of Malice! I especially like how the expression came out on his bill-- a devious smirk!

Electric Pokémon are one of my favorite types. As I mentioned in another article, Ampharos was one of my favorite designs but fell flat in combat. How do we make up for that? Replace a sheep with a lion! Luxray has a cool name, a Sphinx inspired design, and, with a roar, he charges into battle with confidence of a king!

Last, but not least, is one of my two favorite grass-type Pokémon, Roserade (the other is probably Torterra). The rose-petal Zorro of the Pokémon world, Roserade is another reason to love 4th Generation for evolving Pokémon that, otherwise, weren't worth the time. Sure, she is small, but my Roserade always comes in to save the day just in the nick of time.

Thanks for reading my blog. Make sure to subscribe, comment, and leave ideas for how to improve the blog/ see more of the kinds of things you like.

Here is a link to my article on the Five Generations of Pokémon.