Monday, July 13, 2015

TABLETOP TALES: ORIGINS PRE-RELEASE- "GREEN-BLACK ELVES OF LORWYN!"

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS
ORIGINS PRE-RELEASE SEALED: 
GREEN-BLACK ELVES OF LORWYN

To check out my other decks, hit the link below:


This article serves two purposes: To share the nerd entertainment around with anyone who might find it interesting and, in this case, to share my experience with Modern Masters 2015.


You can find Magic Cards in super stores (Ex. Walmart, Target) but the best place you can buy your cards, meet other players, and play in events is at your local comic book store or hobby shop. I buy most of my cards at The Comic Cellar. Here is a link to its Google Maps location at 3620 Austin Peay Highway #2 Memphis, TN 38128.

And here is a link to Comic Cellar's Website

This year marks the last core set with Magic the Gathering: Origins, a set covering the origins of 5 of the most prolific Planeswalkers, the planes that transformed them when they got their spark, and the other characters/events of their past. I'm excited for this to be the set where I'm rejoining the fold and can't wait to see what sort of deck I can build by the time Return to Zendikar hits. I have feeling it is going to involve either artifacts or elves...

...but anyway, let's talk about what you get and do in a Pre-Release Sealed Event.

After picking the color of your favorite Planeswalker (I chose Green), you get a box with 6 Origins booster packs, a 7 card seeded pack with a dated foil rare (all of the color you chose), a spin-down life counter, and a small pamphlet with your planeswalker's origin story & tips on how to make a deck. With these materials, you build a 40 card deck and proceed to fight it out in best of three matches against the other players. And, depending on your placement in the competition, we received Origins packs as prizes.

So let's see my deck that, while I didn't place highly with, I came close...

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS
ORIGINS PRE-RELEASE SEALED: 
GREEN-BLACK ELVES OF LORWYN

I was, at first, unimpressed by my green pool and actually built a white-red aggro deck that took advantage of my burn spells and creatures in those colors. But, after losing a round, my opponent asked to look at my pool and helped me make a working deck out of Green and Black based on a decent (but not fantastic) pool of elves. I went on to win my next two matches and, if not for coming up against an even better green-black deck, I might've placed!

Still I enjoyed playing this deck so much that I really want to play Green-Black elves in standard (if that can be a thing!).

Let's look at the deck:


CONTAINS 40 CARDS

CREATURES
(17 Creatures: 2 Artifact Creatures, 1 Black/Green Creature, 7 Black & 7 Green Creatures)


Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? A 3/1 that you don't mind trading to kill something because, when it dies, this Shaman can really screw over your opponent's hand. Nice.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I think this is the best bear in the set, especially if you manage to get multiple elves on board, as it usually got me at least one elf token ever time it hit the battlefield and, in this format, that's pretty important. Board presence is everything. Especially with Joraga's Invocation in the deck!


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This elf gives me mixed feels-- it's ability to make mana could be better but the ability to give other elves death touch cannnot be underestimated.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? The important thing to realize about this surprisingly popular bomb is that putting down a 4/4 flyer is a big deal in this format! There are a lot of small flyers that this guy can eat and he can swing for crazy easy damage against most decks. The main downside is this card eats it from things that target artifacts but, most of the time, it'll make it in the deck (especially in a deck low on expensive but okay bombs).


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? Here is a dude that does a lot of work. This deck has a lot of dudes and this guy rewards you for swinging away. That and he can trade with most things in the format? Nice.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is a limited bomb/clock thanks to the ability to come in as a 6/6 if you have 12 lands to spare or come in small and get bigger with your spare mana and, when it dies, you get an airforce of awesome thopters. Nice.


Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Decent enough ramp on a decent enough body for this format. And it is an elf. Not an Arbor Elf, but I approve.
 
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I love this guy! Scry is really powerful and Llanoware Empath's flexibility allows you to Scry to increase your chances of getting a land or net you a nice creature for your hand. That and, as an elf, this guy has great synergy with the other elves in my deck!

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is a deceptive bomb in this format or, at least, a serious annoyance: if he doesn't get blocked and your other guys get blocked, simple sacrifice some dudes to pump him or, if he gets blocked, sacrifice some guys so he can win a trade. He is flexible and he can evade a lot of board removal (looking at you Languish).

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? By the time you play this guy you're bound to get 3/3 flyer for 5.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I played this baby when I had five elves on the board and my opponent took five damage right on her entrance. I can't wait to sleeve this in my new BG elves deck.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? A 2/3 on turn 2 is a big deal in this format, especially with all the 1/1s and 2/2s running around.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This card is a midrange bomb that makes your aggressive deck a nightmare to deal with as it will, more often than not, discourage opponents from blocking your guys because they'll come off unfavorably in trades.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? If I was playing nothing but elves, Sylvan Messenger would be a lot more tolerable. Otherwise, she was kind of a pain when I needed a land since he ability is so unconditional and she is sort of expensive (but trample is really good with pump!).
 
Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This guy is mediocre in a lot of situations but, in an elf deck, he is a decent guy to have around.

NON-CREATURE SPELLS
(6 Non-Creature Spells: 1 Artifact, 1 Black Instants, 1 Black Sorcery, 1 Green Instant, 2 Green Sorceries)

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This trick got me a couple of wins just by trading or blocking at the right moment and drawing me what I need to get ahead on my curve.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I didn't get to play this bomb but there were plenty of times that pulling it would've won me the game as it is usually a board wipe and, combined with Somberwald Alpha, is even more devastating.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? I wish I had gotten another copy of Reave Soul as it kills the bread and butter of most decks I came up against.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? In an agressive deck with a ton of creatures, this card is deceptively potent and won me a couple rounds.

Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? A classic combat trick that will, more often than not, see you either killing their big body or coming out a victor in the race for damage.


Deck contains. 1.
Reasons? This is almost always a great removal spell in a format with so many whimpy blockers to get rid of.

LANDS
(17 Lands: 9 Forest, 8 Swamps)

Deck contains. 9.

Deck contains. 8.


IDEAL 1ST HAND