Tuesday, September 4, 2012

TABLETOP TALES: THE HAUNTED WURMWOOD DECK: MIRROR EDITION!

TABLETOP TALES PRESENTS:
THE HAUNTED WURMWOOD DECK: 
MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL!

To check out my other decks, hit the links below:


This article serves to update my Grave Power build deck into Block-Constructed limitations; all of the cards in this iteration of the deck are strictly from the Innistrad Block  The real point of this article is to show how this deck is evolving for my goal to build a Innistrad Block deck and, eventually, a competitive standard deck.
 I had been hoping that Avacyn Restored would do something to help build this decks mechanics but, alas, that wasn't my luck. I've instead resorted to simplifying the deck and changing it up just a bit in a way that, mostly, simplifies it into a consistent machine.



Intro Pack: Dark Ascension, Grave Power, Cost: $13
Note: You can see the full decklist of the original to compare by clicking HERE.

I have probably spent about $10 dollars on singles for this deck (some of which don't even appear in the deck). MISCELLANEOUS COST: $10

TOTAL COST: $23

You can find Magic Cards in super stores (Ex. Walmart, Target) but the best place you can buy your cards, meet other players, and play in events is at your local comic book store or hobby shop. I buy most of my cards at The Comic Cellar. Here is a link to its Google Maps location at 3620 Austin Peay Highway #2 Memphis, TN 38128.

Without further ado, with these purchases, I built...

THE HAUNTED WURMWOOD DECK:
MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL EDITION!
 Not much has changed and I can still quote the last article...mostly:

"The deck follows several themes including, but not limited to, : Treefolk, Wurms, Unblockable, and stealing power from beyond the grave. This deck is ultimately a G/Bl Self-Mill construction and, as this is not a popular mechanic, it has been a challenge to pull off.

Also, I only try to build and present decks that I can afford, this deck is still in a prototype phase, and I hope you will be able to enjoy it. This version of the deck only includes cards from the Innistrad Block and only includes cards I own physical copies of.."

The big changes, as aforementioned, were changing the creature pool and, in general, simplif

NOTE: This is the THIRD iteration of this deck. Please leave comments and suggestions on how to improve my deck. To compare it to different versions, check out the link at the top and you will find a summary of all my deck articles.

To read the rest of the article, hit "Read More" below.


 Contains 60 Cards
CREATURES 
(24 Cards: 9 Blue Creatures,  15 Green Creatures )
"DIGGIN' A HOLE BOSS!"
Deck contains. 4.
Reasons? Two of the things my deck were missing: more ways to mill than just spells and some cheaper fatties. His toughness guarantees that I can hold my own early game and dumping four cards guarantees my other cards have the grave fuel to keep going. This fat graveyard digging fool looks like a Honed Turtle with a drawback, but that drawback is a huge asset in decks that use grave-mill.

UPDATE: Armored Skaab is a really useful creature in the formula that keeps your foe at bay, fills your graveyard, and fills out the creature pool nicely.

"THEY CALL ME DOCTOR WORM!"- They Might Be Giants
Deck contains. 3.
Reasons?  The Wurms that make my deck so nasty had to be this grave-digging critter. He is a simple beast that grows with time. With each card dumped from the library and each creature you lose to wear and tear, Boneyard Wurm just gains more potential. Pair him with some interesting enchantments and he becomes a devastating beast of the Wurmwood.

Update: I actually have considered picking up a fourth copy before Ravnica (might even make this a 61 card deck). This card is brutal and efficient (as well as under appreciated) in comparison to Splinterfright.

Bambi's Mom serves the Cycle of Death
Deck contains. 3.
Reasons? This card is just brilliant in this deck. He is a 2/2 for 2 that sacrifices for land. This is awesome. Not only does it get you all the mana you need for the big beasties and spells, but it also adds to your graveyard.

Update: Probably my favorite mana-get card and one of my favorite cards of the set; Dawntreader makes this deck flow with all the mana it could ever need.

FILL THE MORGUE, FEED THE WORMS!
Deck contains. 3.
Reasons? Initially, I viewed this early drop as a weenie filler, but after adding him back in, ignoring the theme, I find this guy gets the job done. He gets me extra mana, puts cards in my graveyard, and when he dies becomes part of the graveyard. I treat him like a colorless land that can can mill, block, and then fill the graveyard when he needs to. He has definitely earned back his place.

Update: With only 22 mana in the deck, somebody has to do some heavy lifting and deranged assistant is surprisingly burly for a humpback; cards like this really make me think this deck and its mechanics are the result of a really dedicated designer.

"I'M THE LOGGERNAUT, B****!"
Deck contains. 4.
Reasons? By the time I'm ready to put this bad boy on the field, I've already for six or so monsters in my graveyard, and it only costs me 2 mana to put this on the field. Then, I'll get this tree to flying and swing harder than the Whomping Willow.

Update: My favorite card. Hands down. A lot of my games rely on this bruiser hitting the ground and getting to the endzone with Artful Dodge. I am disappointed to see no more synergy for this deck in Avacyn Restrored, but I am looking forward to Ravnica's possibilities and how this card will fair with Golgari or Simic aid.

"Mirror, Mirror, on the wall/ Who is the fairest of them all?" -The Queen, Disney's Snow White & The Seven Dwarves
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? And now we're talking with this decks only Mythic Rare creature, since Vorapede got traded away and Tree of Redemption is being saved for a rainy day. Mirror-Mad Phantasm is great for a number of reasons; in a pinch he is possible game ender when combined with Wreath of Geists, but, even more vital, is its ability to kicking tens of cards into your graveyard with flashback and more to help build the deck's strategy brilliantly. Its also a good idea to have targets like Mirror-Mad draw your opponents fury.

"The Ents are going to war." -Treebeard, Lord of the Rings: The Two Tower
Deck contains. 4.
Reasons? This guy just can't stay out of my deck. As Boneyard Wurm's trampling, self-milling big brother, this aggressor can do a lot of damage fast. I just wish he had hexproof instead of trample... But that is a minor gripe. A simpler, slimmer, greener version of this deck would have at least three of these suckers.

Update: And he went from a single card to four in a single update to make it the backbone of my turn two to three drop. He is a potential game ender, draws attention, and when combined with the various combos of this deck becomes deadly (as opposed to being simply threatening on his own).

Enchantments, Instants and Sorcery
(14 Cards: 2 Blue Instants, 3 Blue Sorceries, 3 Green Enchantments,  6 Green Sorceries)

CAN'T BLOCK THIS! WURMER TIME!
Deck contains. 3.
Reasons? I think a lot of people who rate cards have a rather snobby view of cards. For example, a lot of people in reviewing this card, compared it cards from sets long past. I think they underestimate the usefulness of this card, especially with flashback. This card combos with a Ghoultree or another pumped monster, to guarantee a win.

Update: And this card is really the key to winning most of my games. Step 1: Lay down mana. Step 2: Fill my graveyard. Step 3: Play a big monster. Step 4: Play Artful Dodge for the win. I don't know of a better way to pull this off and the rest of what I gotta do...is stall.

BONE MARROW IS GOOD FOR YOU.
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? A lot of people would probably snub this card, but, with this deck, its far too useful. The first time I used it, I was getting pummeled, but played this and immediately flashed it back for 24 health! I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself picking up another one of these bad boys soon.

Update: This card makes a big difference in keeping me alive long enough to get a Ghoultree, Splinterfright, or other creature in for the win.

HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF.
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Conclusion? I need another one of these for this deck. Not only does it save some cards from the grave and restock my library....it has flashback! I'll definitely be picking up another one of these in my next trip to the Comic Cellar.

Update: I've decided running two of these works by keeping me from milling out my deck too fast and helping me get creatures I need back into my library (or mana in a pinch).
MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MULCH!
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? Thematically? This card is superb. But it is pretty inferior to Cultivate which both guarantees you two lands and allows you to play one. Furthermore, putting to many of these in my deck could burn it out. Don't get me wrong, if I find my graveyards need to fill faster, I'll be putting more of these puppies in my deck.

Update: Mulch helps a lot, would be better with flashback though, and it picks up the slack for my elks and the like. 

FISHING FOR LUMBER!
Deck contains. 2.
Reasons? This is a great way to get those creatures out of your deck when you need them but, thanks to its flashback ability, I am not so sure if I need two in here. This card's only drawback is that it can burn your mana out of your deck if you don't use it carefully.

Update: Tracking down a Ghoultree, Splinterfright, or other necessary beastie makes the difference in this deck.
DOUBLE DOUBLE TOIL AND BUBBLE!
Deck contains. 3.
Reasons? This card doubles the power and toughness of your Boneyard Wurms and Splinterfrights. It is almost always guaranteed to give you a +1/+1 but even better it give your monsters anywhere from a +1/+1 to a +10/+10. This adds to the incentive to get monsters in your graveyard and makes those Boneyard Wurms terribly attractive and useful.

Updates: 
LANDS
( 22 Cards: 6 Blues, 15 Greens, 1 Others)

Contains 15
Contains 1
Contains 6

IDEAL FIRST HAND!