Tuesday, July 17, 2012

WEEKLY ROUND-UP! 7/9-7/15 2012! RETURN OF THE BOOK OF POKEMON!

WEEKLY ROUND-UP PRESENTs
RETURN OF THE BOOK OF POKEMON!

7. WORD OF THE DAY. 7/11/12. Dilluvial.

As part of the tip-off to the practically out of no-where return of the Book of Pokemon, I started my WTF Wednesday with a hilarious pokemon comic that satires the problems involved in mixing pokemon and real-world mythology/history. Only one problem...Mewtwo, Porygon, Porygon 2, Porygon Z, Ditto, and several other Pokemon are artificial and wouldn't exist in Genesis and Deoxys, for instance, is from space.

6. MUSICAL MONDAY! STAR WARS THAT I USED TO KNOW!

Not nearly as arduous as last week, this week's articles tended to be a return to standard form and this funny Star Wars parody of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" was certainly an easy choice.


5. WORD OF THE DAY. 7/12/12. Partheogenesis.

Hayao Miyazaki is on the most fantastic living story-tellers and has undoubtedly touched the hearts and minds of people all over the world with his brilliant work. My favorite Miyazaki films, if anyone is wondering, are Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and probably My Neighbor Totoro (for personal reasons).

4. TABLETOP TALES: MY M13 PRE-RELEASE!

I think that M13 has generated a less than jubilant response from the fans of MTG, but maybe its a bit deeper. After playing through Innistrad set (which was my first ongoing block), I think a lot of players are a little burnt out; heck, even though I was excited for Avacyn: Restored, several other players were belly-aching about it at the time. On the upside, Return to Ravnica looks AMAZING! (I am a huge fan of urban fantasy and guild rivalry)


3. SUMMER OF 51 FILMS: July 1-July 15

And I finally got around to posting the first ten reviews of my newest film challenges this week. The stand-outs were The Adventurers of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, Sonatine, Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil, and the simply sublime visual masterpiece, The Fall. It remains to be seen whether the next ten films will be as enjoyable as the first ten generally were and, knowing me, they will probably be awful.

2. MIXED BAG. KYLE'S B-DAY CARDS

This Summer, Magic the Gathering has really become one of my fondest hobbies; whether I am playing with friends, building decks, or working on my own card set, it has allowed me to combine my interests and skills in new ways that I consider to be pretty damn special. The cards I made for Kyle were mostly silly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them return in someway in the future sets to come.



Holy crap! I don't even know how to express the rush of completing the third part of the Book of Pokemon, a series of WTF Wednesday that I did in my first month of blogging. In fact, the first two are so old that they were numbered as the "WTF WED 2" and "3" before I realized how seriously silly it would be to number them all. They were a couple of my early successes and shaped the philosophy of the entertainment I put on the blog; be true to myself, be fair to the material, and always try my best to show you guys what I got.

The third installment was originally intended to be the finale but, after getting into it a little bit, I decided I would like to continue and extend the series, and embellish as much as possible to create not only my understanding of the Pokemon lore, but what my 8-year old self wanted and my 80-year old self will assuredly want the story to be. Thank you and smell you later.