Wednesday, April 23, 2014

WTF! SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE SPIDERBOB SQUAREPALPATINE'S FINEST MOMENT!

Feel free to skip the following wall of text rant:

So, as I sit here eating some french fries from my local BBQ chain, I can't help but think about my feelings on the massively popular cartoon juggernaut, Spongebob Squarepants. In many ways, Spongebob clearly borrowed inspiration from Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy, two of my favorite cartoon shows from my childhood, and, in turn, Spongebob arguably opened the door for shows like The Misadventures of Flapjack, Regular Show, and even Adventure Time. It is worth noting that all of the shows I just mentioned are Cartoon Network programming because, the other side of the situation with Spongebob, is that I will always remember it as being the tombstone of Nick Toons. Since Spongebob, the only remarkable animated programs to come out of Nickelodeon was Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequal series The Legend of Korra. In fact, I just looked at Nick's wikipedia page and, besides Spongebob, the only cartoons currently running new episodes is Ninja Turtles and Raving Rabbids. Honestly, the only other animated programs that I can remember Nick airing in the last decade, besides reruns of my childhood shows, was crap like the eyeball wretched Dexter's Lab rip-offs Jimmy Neutron and Fairly Odd Parents. I was so concerned that Cartoon Network would go the way of Nickelodeon, by almost exclusively airing mind-numbingly crappy live-action programming but they managed to pull themselves out of that vortex of fail and, while Cartoon Network isn't quite what it could be, at least it is still a channel I might watch when and if I ever happen to flick on a cable box.

What happened to Nickelodeon?



Clink the link. View it.


And let's end on Spider Man. Oh Spider Man. Oh Amazing Spider Man. Some day, you will have your day in the sun. But one rant is enough for one post and, mayhaps, Amazing Spiderman isn't worth the carpal tunnel.